Friday, January 25, 2013

Welcome

As part of doing a Departmental Honors Project at Rhode Island College, I am creating a blog to document my progress and for everyone else to follow along as I make new discoveries. As a Mathematics major, I am leaning towards seeing how mathematics impacts the mind. I am curious to see how the use of mathematics affects the memory process and/or our thinking process. I know for me, I feel like math has made me more of a logical thinker - I think things through and think about the realities and consequences of certain actions. At my house, my mom and I used to love doing Sudoku puzzles, which are math involved and require a lot of thinking and deducing. I'm curious to see if this is just coincidence or if there is something about math problems that strengthens this type of thinking.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, Sarah! So speedy! I can already tell you are a person who likes to check things off her To Do list. I can also tell that you LOVE math. You may also be surprised to know that I, too, like math a lot. In my younger years, I loved math and music (I am a violinist and mandolinist), and I've always been fascinated by the connection between math and music. Here's a good article on the topic, if you need/want an entry point:

    http://www.vancouversun.com/Entertainment/interesting+connection+between+math+music/1473881/story.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks. That sounds like it could be very interesting. I have actually said many times that I see a connection between math and music, especially since I took Music Theory in high school. I will definitely look into that. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete